Are you the type of person who has a tenacious, can-do attitude with attention to detail?
Do you want to work for a leather goods brand that not only focuses on upholding high product quality standards, but in sustainability and reducing waste in the production process?
Do you want a job that allows you to grow your skills in leathercraft professionally within a dynamic creative team?
About Freebird of California
FreeBird of California is an established leather goods brand offering thoughtfully designed handmade leather accessories and handbags to the Bay Area. This women-led company manufactures handcrafted leather goods that are ethically sourced and manufactured with minimal waste and upcycling, offering fine leather options for goods at various price points. Our bright open workstudio, located in Oakland’s Fairfax district has been around since 2020. Our values lie in ethical sourcing, sustainability, artisan made goods, renewal. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce where everyone thrives. We are always looking for creative, innovative, and passionate people who are eager to contribute to our mission of renewing local manufacturing!
The perfect PD Assistant will enjoy working with their hands with great attention to detail, and can focus on completing tasks quickly without sacrificing quality. Strong organizational skills as well as creative ingenuity is desired as well as free thinking and problem solving. Experience in leather craft is a plus, but not required. We're willing and happy to teach the right person.
- Operates shop equipment (rivet setter, clicker press, heat press)
- Cutting of leather components & assembly of leather components
- Sewing leather products (familiarity of industrial sewing machine a plus)
- A desire and ability to learn leather-working skills and techniques (hand saddle stitching, edge finishing)
- Vector pattern editing in Illustrator.
- General workshop cleaning and organization
- This position requires the ability to lift 25-50lbs (receiving materials, leather deliveries)
- Creative person with strong presentation skills and exhibits fashion and trend consciousness
- Some experience in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop
- A self-starter who is able to receive strong honest critique
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with a sense of urgency
- Ability to work in a team environment, build trust and relationships.
- High Attention to detail (maintaining high quality craftsmanship is a priority)
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing work environment
- Strong interpersonal and listening skills
- Previous experience with the production of a handcrafted product a big plus (but not required)
- Organized and detail oriented, Interpersonal and communication skills are critical;
$16-$21/hr, Part-time, paid bi-weekly
flexible work options
CalSavers 401K matching
Open availability from 9am-5pm Monday-Friday
Once you submit your apply, you will receive a confirmation email.
From there we carefully review your application and respond personally to the applicants that best match the qualifications.
We consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other factors prohibited by law.